I'm impressed. Temperature was easy to control and really easy to hold. I like the lump charcoal too.

I started the fire, brought it to 350-400ish, maintained that temp for a while and put it out. Then repeated the process. I didn't want to damage the seals/gaskets with a high temp cook right off. I read where that was recommended. Don't know if it helped or not, but didn't want to chance it.

The third time I started it up I let it get hot and then maintained 600 degrees. Seared the steaks two minutes on each side, then two more minutes each side with all air shut off. I actually cooked two batches of steaks and getting temp back to 600 wasn't an issue.

I was pleased with the steaks. Not perfect (yet!), but juicy and full of flavor. I don't see me cooking steak on anything else in the near future. It'll take some time to get them exactly where I want, but I'm going to have fun trying!

I'll cook something else tonight. I already told the wife I se Egg 2 in the near future. She laughed, but knows she'll be eating well in the weeks to come!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!