First off, I'll admit I'm prejudiced. My vote is for the .35 Whelen. I'll also admit that I consider Remington's factory ammo to be rather anemic as just as they did with the .280 Rem. they went with loads suitable for pump and semi-auto rifles. When will they ever learn?
Handloaded the Whelen is a horse of another color. My pet load shoots the 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2710 FPS and drops elk like a rock. I've taken elk as far out as 350 yards with it.
JMHO but I think the 225 gr. bullets are the way to go, especially if after game larger than deer. For the great bears, probably would go with the 250 gr. Nobler Partition but would now worry with the 225 gr. TSX.
As has been mentioned. one can download it to the levels off the .35 Rem. or .358 Win. for deer with a reduction in recoil if that's an issue and go to full power loads for the larger game.
The Whelen is also an excellent cast bullet cartridge should you want to try that route.
I have three .35 Whelens. A Ruger M77RS I use for cast bullets, a Remington M700 Classice for 250 gr. bullets and a very nice custom Mauser I found at an estate sale. It's been my go to rifle for elk with the barnes TSX bullet. Groups run in the .50 to .75" range when I do my part. That would be one of the very last rifles I would ever part with.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE