Originally Posted by gophergunner
Thanks Perry. I hate having to read these stories. Deer camp is such a hallowed place, it's a shame to see one go away, but it's good to know some new blood will hang deer from the game pole.

Our camp is basically going through it's death throes. My dad and 5 other guys built this Pa. deer camp shortly after WWII. Man, the stories from that camp! All the Olde Guard have passed on. None of the guys had any kids that showed any interest in the camp so it came down to me and my brother. Health issues for both of us have meant the camp sits empty a lot more than it should. The day will come when we have to sell it or see it just rot into the ground. Such a tragedy after all the hard work and memories associated with our little slice of Heaven.

For nearly 20 years I kept a hunting camp in New Hampshire for my friends to use and although they all said that they would look after it, they didn't, so I ended up letting the local VFD use it for a practice burn after it was repeatedly vandalized and, recently, sold the land that it stood on. I understand that they guy who bought the land is going put in roads and divide the rest into 30, 2 acre, building lots, so that land will be forever lost to hunters and fishermen.