Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
A tough decision because 2 weeks seems limiting ...

Can't decide between very large antlers or arctic char or salmon.

I petition for more time and $ to research the issue!

As an ignorant out-of-stater, I can't grasp how even 2 weeks in Anchorage could fail to be a great time.

I've only ever spent two weeks in Alaska. Most of the residents on here will agree that they call it Los Anchorage. It's still a city and has all of the same problems; gangs, drugs, homeless, hipsters, politicians, etc. If you do find yourself with that short of a time frame you can do what I did and fly into Anchorage, stay long enough to get a feel for the "town" and get whatever supplies you need then rent a car and drive the Seward Hwy to Homer. I spent a couple days in Seward on the way including an excellent full day whale watching trip where we saw humpbacks, orcas, mountain goats, black bear, eagles, and a ton of sea birds including some puffins. I managed to get my limit of two halibut and release another on a half day trip out of Homer. Stop and have a beer at The Salty Dog. I wish I would have taken the time to visit Kenai and Whittier on that drive. I left Homer at night and drove to Denali N.P., including a nap at a park and ride outside of Wasilla. This is dangerous especially since it was the end of May and I had several close calls with moose on the hwy. Denali will provide you with a ton a wildlife viewing. I walked the road 6 miles further than the bus goes that time of year and was following grizzly tracks part of the way, also not recommended.

I'll be back and for much longer than two weeks next time. I may just find a job and stay. You'll understand the feeling when you get there. I picked up seven different hitchhikers on my trip, it's a special place.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.