Either bullet should work fine.

IME, SGK tend to be slightly more accurate, but no complaints on the Hornady...SGK have the rep of being "soft", at least under 300 yards, but I'm not sure that is accurate. I believe they upped the jacket thickness some since the early days when that rep was established. The couple times I've used them, range was under 200 and they performed well.

I don't think anyone makes a "bad' bullet anymore- as long as one stays inside intended use parameters.

That said, there are two factory loads/bullets that i will not use, based on poor (one, each)) performance on game . One is the Federal Hi-Shok (or whatever it is called now. .30-06/ 165 gr) Best accuracy for a factory round I've found for my 17 inch barrelled .30-06, but the jacket separated virtually on impact -twice each, on a sheep at 330 yards, and a moose at 40, 4 days apart. But at no point in the death of the animals did the bullet "fail". Likely intended for coyotes and small deer, and I over-extended it's use.

The other is a .338WM 210 NP, which blew up on the shoulder of a moose at about 100 yards, peppering the near side lung with BB bits of lead and bone, but failing to penetrate to the far lung. I think the back portion must have ricocheted out the entrance wound- I never found it. the 2nd round up the nose at 10 feet did the job when the bull lurched to his feet... that was a bit interesting.

250 NP worked fine.., tho not as accurate as several other loads. In my gun.

The most accurate hand load in that rifle that i have found is with SGK 250 - 1 inch at 200 yards. I'm currently using Hornady 250 RN - MOA. Awfully ugly cartridge, and I've got a crap-load of them, but with that accuracy, I'll just shoot with my eyes closed...

Last edited by las; 06/14/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.