Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've never met a natural disaster that could read a code book. I've also never seen a building department that requires all structures to be built above the highest possible storm surges or flood water lines.

That's never going to happen. People want to live by and enjoy the water. Take a look at the HWM (high water mark) pics for Mississippi after Katrina. There's one of a researcher holding a grade stick next to a tree to determine Katrina's HWM. It's 30' high! There is no preparation on earth that can prepare you for that. Disallowing building below "possible" HWM would never happen. Darn near the entire state would have to be moved into Georgia or elsewhere. grin

Most of Florida is flatlands, with marshland, hardwood hammock, and mangrove estuaries making up the rest.

I now live the farthest from the beach I have in the last 50 years, 9 miles. About 5 mins from the Glades.

Lotta bangin and haulin the last 3-4 days. Some people still working together. Got plenty of good exercise. Hands are toughened back up with the usual knicks and gouges from this kind of stuff.

Now it's just a waiting game. Say a prayer for T LEE and the rest of the folks on the west coast of FL. They could use it right about now. Most of my family and lots of old friends there. So, I'm of course concerned about them.

I completely understand, if I was going to get land in the tropics I'd want it to be beachfront if I could afford it. I'm keep all in my prayers and am thankful my son got a flight out of Miami on Wednesday. I sadly have a feeling he won't be going back to school for the rest of this semester, and who knows beyond that.

458, where does you son go to school? UM?

Yup, he's a cane.