Originally Posted by bja105
Bristoe, you probably know this, but an 8N doesn't have a true drawbar, below the axel centerline. The three point arms will float up as the front end comes up. Maybe you can find a way to chain the front axel, and straddle the chain? Lots of youtube of 8N pulling gone bad. Don't die!

I want an 8N. It doesn't make sense, but I do. I want a small tractor my wife and daughter can run the hay rake with. I think I need something more modern, with better brakes, in these hills.

I know it can happen, but the front end never offered to come up while I was pulling yesterday. I dug some pretty good ruts in the yard that I'm going to have to fill in later, however. I kept my foot on the clutch in the event that the front end started to climb. I suspect that one reason the 8N has a reputation for floating the front end is because many people replace the original 11.2 rear tires with the wider, larger diameter 12.4's.

As for brakes on an 8N, mine are in good shape. They'll cause the tires to slide if you stomp them.