Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Any statement that starts "Most PHs prefer A-Frames or Trophy Bonded" (or whatever) means "most of the PH's I've hunted with prefer XYZ bullets." often because they want to be agreeable with their client, who prefers XYZ bullets.

One of my more entertaining evenings in Africa occurred during a month-long trip a decade ago, when six PH's sat around and drank beer together, while some of their clients mostly listened. There isn't any more consensus among African PH's than among American elk or brown bear guides, or any other bunch of experienced hunters.

Rubbish. Every PH I have met, six or so, prefer that the hunter arrives with TSX's or A-Frames and are well clear that they do not like the Partition. Same in NE BC and a SE Alaskan brown bear hunt. Dummy me, I listen to them. When a Tanzanian hunt come gratis I may change my view...

Yup. I agree wholeheartedly. The PHs hate partitions. Let me reiterate for those who may have skipped over: I have used TSX exclusively since they came out from coues to brown bear. (The only exception was a brown bear hunt on Kodiak where the outfitter insisted I bring A frames.)

When the lion importation window opened up again I began doing my homework- went to the shows, started looking at hunts and speaking with outfitters. What gun(s)/caliber(s) and bullets to bring. A frames were mentioned in one way or another by pretty much all. Not one had an issue with TSX. It was all A frames and TSX, but they definitely did not like partitions.

When I booked and formally asked I was told Swift A frames and bring a dozen solids. Well, I had 60 TSX left over from my last brown bear hunt so I said "F it".

YMMV....... That was the first and LAST time I will ever disregard the advice of a PH. After all, WTF do they know anyway. Not like they do it for a living......

L -> R Buffalo frontal @ 80 yds, eland quartering away @ 125 yds and the dirt @ 55 yds as a control. After the dirt we decided to use the 300 Win. The two 300 Win recovered from an impala frontal @ 100 and zebra @ 150 showed the typical expansion I have seen in my previously recovered TSX and what I expected to see from the 375. The biggest issue was the lack of full cavity expansion. Expansion was less than expected.

375:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

300:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 09/25/18.