Originally Posted by Rolly
Next August I am going to Namibia to hunt hippo and buffalo. I am using my own 375 Ruger RSM. As a side, the rifle shoots wonderfully small groups with 260 Nosler partitions but I would like to use 300 grain bullets on the buff and hippo.

My problem is this. The 300 grain solids from Nosler don't group within 3-4 inches of the 300 grain partitions from Nosler. Frankly neither group much better than 1.75 inches to 2 inches for 3 shots at 100 but I am thinking that is probably good enough for buffalo. I'll just have to allow a little windage if the solids have to come into play on the buff.

My quandary comes with bullets for the hippo. From what I understand and see on TV, they are most often killed with a brain shot while nearly submerged in the water. I don't know if I can hit an orange (hippo brain size) at 100 yards with either bullet. I just don't have confidence in the bullets at this point and haven't found a load that improves on my groups.

What would you do?

I took a hippo on the Zambian hunt with .450#2 NE double and Woodleigh solids. If you want a thrilling way to hunt them, walk right up to them on a sandy stretch of the river, get to within 30 yards, and they will make their move. I put the first right in the lungs broadside which was 100% fatal. The rest of the follow ups were to try to anchor him before he crossed the river into the Park. Mucho excitement.

As for your Noslers, I'm surprised you can't get the printing closer. First, I'd chronograph hem to check velo. If sufficiently off, match them up and see what you get. Try Woodleigh solids. Change powders. I'll bet one of these tricks will fix you up.

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo