Originally Posted by atse
I am no fanboy of any particular brand, and I have a couple of older 700s that shoot good. I wonder though,if the new ones are truly hit and miss for accuracy,why not look elsewhere. I bought my youngest boy a Tikka 243 and it shoots incredibly well. That seems to be a common trait to these rifles, and a couple other brands are in there too for consistent accuracy . Factory rifles have made incredible improvement the last 10 years. I realize any brand can, and do produce a bad rifle, same with customs, but why not play the odds?

I have a rebarreled 30-06 I need to send to Eddie to replace the turd that I replaced the factory turd with. That was the first and last douglas barrel I use. I will stick with krieger. I know all barrel makers can make a bad barrel, but seems my hit/miss ratio with krieger has been quiet good.

The 30-06 has been sort of a problem child from the start. And before you ask, the barrel is not contacting the stock anywhere in the barrel channel, and it has been bedded, and it has a nice crisp trigger. But I have had shoddy work from smith's before.