Originally Posted by Ghostwalker
Agree that the 700's have become a hit and miss proposition. From my experience, if you get one that is chambered straight, you're probably okay. Every one of the rifles that people could not make shoot well that ended up on my bench had chambers cut that were not concentric with the bore. The worst case was one that was so far off it had rifling on one side of the case neck.

I have learned that jumping the bullet .100+ often helps. Berger explains this approach on their website.

My best result using this method on a rifle with a crooked chamber made a gun (242 compact) that would not hold 1.75 inches at 100 yds a 1/2 gun but I was jumping the bullet .150.

Some rifles just plain would not shoot regardless of tweaking was done, new bedding included.

This right here...that was the problem with my 30-06. I replaced that factory barrel with a Douglas barrel. It shoots much better, but the douglas has another problem. The first two shots are relatively close. The third shot will creep up about and inch and to the right about an inch. Every shot after that will creep up and to the right a little further. If I wait at least 15 minutes between shots I can squeeze about .75 out of it. I still hunt with it sometimes because that first shot is going right where it's suppose to. Killed a pile of deer with it.

After this season, I will probably replace the douglas with a krieger.

Last edited by BriGuy; 10/20/18.