Hubert and Saddlesore: Any specifics as to the safety and trigger (Brand or model)? Would a forward/backward safety be a better conversion than the typical tip up/down seen on most Mausers? As to triggers, after using an Anschutz with a 1 ounce trigger for a couple of ground squirrel seasons, I'm growing extremely intolerant of units that exceed 2 lbs. I have no issues with the cock on close system unless there's some personal safety deal I'm not aware of. A cursory exam reveals a little different layout for the trigger compared to the classic M98's. There's the typical sear at the rear and another rounded projection up into the bottom of the bolt raceway perhaps 1.5 inches forward of the first. What is the function of the forward portion?

This discussion makes me want to get started today. The suggestion of simply starting with a short chop on the barrel and giving that a go, sounds like a good idea too. No sense swapping it out if it already performs. I'd likely strip the sights off, as I like a clean profile. I will farm out the metal work, as I have no tools for that. I do enjoy chiseling away at wood though. Thanks for the thoughts, 1Minute

1Minute