mm879,

I seriously doubt you'd notice a difference in killing power between a 9.3x62, a 9.3x64, a 375 h&h or a 375 ruger. What you will notice though, is a much lighter rifle, and five in the magazine. Twice now, I made my last and final shot on the fifth round. I do miss on longer running shots. Stakes are too high to not bring home meat. A five down gun is ok.

I don't shoot a 9.3 to be a 338. I shoot a 9.3 to nip at the heals of a 375. No 250 grain bullets for me: 300 grainer all the way. In an old Barnes shooting manual of mine, I saw that Doctari wrote up the description of the ole 9.3, and claimed back then, to have shot over 600 cape buffalo with it.

I honestly feel that the 9.3 poseses a slight excess of power and capability all the way out to 500 yds. My 358 carbine is just right for everything out to about 400 yds, when in the mountains.

pa,
We practically carry identical rifles, weight-wise. Mine is 7 lbs 4 oz with open sights. Whereabouts in southeast do you live? I've been to ketch, klawock, hydaburg, annette island, juneau and haines. Loves those big trees and that warmer weather down there. Rough hiking down your way, I don't blaime yah for going for a lighter carbine that packs ah punch, aye?

I have used the 286 grain partition on caribou, they expanded good on 200 yd shots with a muzzle velocity of 2200 fps (underpowered factory ammo). This was back before I started hand-loading the ole nine-three and before I ran that nosler custom ammo over the chronograph:
[Linked Image]

Oh forgot another observation: Factory Lapua megas don't expand on black bear, lead too hard. Would work better on thicker skinned game.