When I was quite young, I picked up a custom in .458 win (Douglass barrel built on an Eddystone action). Thing kicked like something awful. Got rid of it after getting the split stock fixed.

I saw a #1 in .458 win a couple of years ago, and found it shoots very comfortably. Since then, I got the bug -- .416 rem in #1, .416 rigby and .458 lott in m77. ALL of them are *pleasant*. What I mean is that I can/have put 15 rounds through my Lott with no bruising -- though my shoulder had a little soreness that passed in a day or so... So much has to do with fit and how you mount the gun (one thing that seems to have impact is clothing that is slippery -- don't know why, but I've found all of these much more unpleasant with my slippery winter coat). A few hints: don't mount the gun on the ball of your shoulder or on your arm... the stock should go in the "pocket" off your joint. Take a position that is a little more open -- with your body facing more towards the target. Make sure your left elbow is still UNDER the gun (THAT may feel a little strange, but you will get good accuracy anyway). Hold the stock SNUG against your shoulder. Boom! Enjoy! At least, that's the recipe that has worked for me.

Dan