About a week ago the Board of Game announced it is relaxing rules, by permit, in GMU 16 in order to cull an excess population of black bears, and give a leg up on a depleted moose supply. Resident subsistence hunters have been screaming for years for more predator control, and the habitat is supporting only a fraction of moose that it could, were it not for bears and wolves. Some of the relaxed rules: taking of sows and cubs is legal, up to 4 bait stations, same day airborne OK, land and shoot OK 300 feet from plane, no limit for residents, 3 for non-residents.

Just by pure coincidence of course, the following article came out in Sunday's paper (yesterday). Pure coincidence, of course. Absolutely!

. While I'm waiting for my password back from ADN I'll post a couple pics I robbed from their website before I got cut off.

First though, all I know about this guy is what is in the article. I don't think he is a Treadwell for the following reasons:

1. As far as I know, his brain isn't drug-rotted
2. He doesn't think he is the bears' "spirit brother" nor that they "love" him.
3. He wasn't seeking notoriety - it found him.
4. He wasn't lying about "saving the bears from poachers" to raise money
5. The bears are on his turf, not he on theirs.
6. He takes at least minimal precautions.

I'm going to post the pics now , see if I can get the article later from adn.com.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.