Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Marmot. 2lb 9oz -10degF newer version 0deg

I don't fit in mummy bags.

Tom

Look for a bag that is differentially cut the inner is smaller than the outer. When you push against the liner it stops movement before it compresses the shell. Most of the better bags are made this way. Unfortunately not many semi rectangular ones are. Sometimes if you get an extra long bag your feet have as much room as a semi rectangular bag and the excess length does not add that much weight. Makes a good place to store your clothes.

I have an old bag from college that is going on a half century and still good. I ditched all my old synthetic bags or they got relegated to car quilt status. When weight is not critical I use a liner and outer cover. The cover is just some para chute sewn in a mummy shape. I like silk or pile liners. Dirt, sweat and moisture are what kills a bags loft and life expectancy.

Get a good one on sale and you won't regret it. The higher loft down is worth it too. When you get to 800 fill there are almost no feathers and these are what can end up poking through the shell or liner. The silicon or water prooffing is also worth it. You loose some loft but the down stays dryer and seems more resilient. If the shell has a DWR you can stand some light rain or heavy dew with no tent. Treating or re-treating with the Nik Wax products helps with water proofing.

REI has a sale going on now, become a member and get 20% discount plus a 10% dividend. A lot of other places will have memorial day sales too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli