We have a 44 mag H&R Handi Rifle. It is really my wife's gun, but I start all my kids out with it. We like it because it is simple for a new shooter to use, its ambidextrous (Wife and #1 son are left eye dominant), and the recoil and noise are tolerable.

Wife's buck, Hornady 225g FTX, H110. 30 yards quartering to. Found the bullet under the hide after penetrating diagonally. The deer dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

Wife's buck, 240g (I think) factory load. I don't remember the brand, but it was solid copper and the recovered bullet looked like an advertisement. Quartering to at 30 yards. I found the bullet in a hind quarter, I think. The deer wiggled in place for a few seconds, then fell.

[Linked Image]

#1 Son's first deer, a button buck. Walking right at him at 10 yards. The deer fell at the shot. Hornady 225 FTX and H110. I think recovered this bullet, too. Pictured with all of my kids.

[Linked Image]

#2 son's first deer, a very small doe. Same Hornady 225 FTX and H110 load, same blind, same presentation as his big brother the year prior. 5 yard shot on a trotting deer into the center of the chest. We recovered the bullet under the skin between her hind legs. The deer ran 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

We all love shooting this Handi Rifle. Recoil is not bad with hot loads, and very light with light cast lead practice loads. The Best part, to me, is the lack of noise, which I think helps new shooters even more than the low recoil. Two of us shoot lefty, so I switch the hammer spur as needed.

Jason