Thanks for all the added food for thought! Here’s an update:

I just got back from a gun store that had several variations of the Miroku ‘73, two ‘92’s, an 1866, and an 1886. The undisputed winner was the 92. The 73’s I held had actions that were light, smooth, and fast, and I hated it. laugh I realized that the 73’s action did not feel anything like what I wanted a lever gun to feel like. Maybe it’s from owning so many surplus bolt guns, but I wanted the action to feel slow, chunky, and rock solid. The 92 delivered that in spades. In fairness, I’m sure the 1886 would have felt similar, but it wasn’t the size/ weight I was after.

So with me incredibly happy with the 92, it made me confident I want a 94. I realized I want the 92 feel but in a 30-30. So now I’m on a mission to find a Miroku 94 to hold, but I’m almost so confident I’d like it, that I’m considering buying one sight unseen.

It helped in another way too; I think the rifle style stock is gorgeous, with the gentle sweeping curve. But in reality, the toe was way too sharp, and what it had in looks, it lost in comfort. I’m glad I was able to see that first hand. I definitely want the carbine stock, even though it’s slightly less elegant.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/09/20.