Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by djs
The whole corona-virus issue is not made-up BS. It is real and the US death toll is now jut below 100,.000 and climbing. We account for over 28% of the world's deaths and 29% of the cases. Who knows where it will end before a vaccine is developed, tested and mass-produced?.

Nice try sport. Numbers don't lie but people use them to build false arguments all the time.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

US case mortality is 10th in the list of countries and with 5.9% substantially less than most of the others. Deaths/1000 we're #9. We're doing fine in the larger sense especially once we honestly remove the folks who were placed in the un-winnable situation of care facilities and being already in danger from other significant health issues.

No one with a brain is saying this is fake but there is a very good chance that there will never be a universal vaccine so I sure wouldn't put my money down on that solving it and masks and destroying the economy sure won't. I suspect that this will be largely be very much like 1918 with the virus mutating and people getting immunity and it will end with a whimper and not a bang.

Now, will there be an economy to go back to? I suspect no conspiracy but I sure see a lot of government incompetence in balancing risks but the government doesn't do risk analysis. They know they will survive no matter how badly they do their job, or if they do it at all.

You are correct in what you point out Pugs. But we comparing 2 different data sets. Both are from Johns Hopkins University but, the date set you used is "Deaths per 100,000 Population". I divided the "Number of Deaths" by the "Number of Confirmed Cases" to give a measure of the mortality rate. Simply different ways of looking at the issue.

"No one with a brain is saying this is fake but there is a very good chance that there will never be a universal vaccine..."
1.) Some here on the 'fire have called the Covid-19 situation "BS" and a non-existent issue.
2.) And, as I have said previously, there may never be a vaccine developed. I have a friend who (as an Immunologist at a Medical School) has been working on an HIV vaccine since 1982 and is still at it. The 1918 pandemic (Spanish flu) did burn itself out, with the loss of many lives. From the CDC web site: "The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States." That's a lot of people and, a similar toll would also take a toll on the economy.
see: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html