Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I will only go so far as to say dog breeds do display varying levels of intelligence in that some are much easier to train than other breeds are. But even the most intelligent dog has little ability to problem solve. Maybe akin to a 1 year old child.

Horses are much the same way. Some strains and some breeds have proven to me to be much easier to train. Some strains are also much more friendly to humans than others, which also aids in their training and makes the breaking process much easier.

Some horses will convince you they can problem solve. As in a quarter horse which used to push the cows through a fence and knock it down so he could get out.

Or many horses which use their teeth to untie a knot in their tie rope so they can escape. Or others which operate a gate latch and escape their paddock.

I used to stake our small herd of horses out on a long rope in an aspen thicket to clean up the grass. A few of them learned how to unwind their rope from trees after getting wound up. Others just stand there and wait for someone to come help.

Problem solving? Perhaps. But I always just figured they accidentally stumbled upon the proper method and remembered.

They do have varying degrees of intelligence but, that's not the end of the story. Drive figures into the equation too. Mals' are like A- intelligence.but, it's their drive to work that makes them preternatural learners.
Labs are very intelligent too. It's their tolerance of stone-age training techniques that d-bags like dick flavor are likely to inflict on them.

NRA Life Member