I use to use the Winchester Supreme Partition Golds up until the Accubonds come out in 2004. I got tired of the soft nose of the bullet squaring off from being cycled from the clip to the chamber and out at end of the hunt in my 300WM. The PG's were a great bullet for me on game.

From the performance I have been getting @ the range for grouping and on big game here in Alberta (elk/moose/wt/mulie/bears), I'll be sticking to my Accubonds (140gr in my 270WSM and 180gr in my 300WM). MOst shots have be complete pass throughs, with major internal damage. Distances at game ranged from 45 metres to 554 metres.

Before I started to reload, I was shooting the factory Winchester Supreme 180 AB in my 300WM. My buddy has the same rifle and harvested a moose that season with 1 shot. Small entrance with huge exit wound. I took a NT Mulie buck on the last afternoon of the season @ 45 metres with a rear quarter behind the LF shoulder. When dresing the animal later at the farm I found the bullet in the hide after it passed thru the RF shoulder. I weighed it at work and it weighed 150gr (83.3% retained-Nosler says min. 60%). I then harvested a 8x7 whitetail an hour later @ 554 metres with complete pass - thru. Both animals dropped in their tracks. I was surprised at the mulie that the bullet did not exit but the expansion of the bullet and weight retained made me happy.

My wife took her first mulie and cow elk that season with her 270WSM-same resluts- 1 shot, complete pass thrus. I have taken moose and elk with the 270WSM , and this past season my wife took her first bull moose @ 325 metres double lung shot- complete pass thru. I told her to shoot again as I did not want the bull to make it to the timber. Both shots very close together. The bull maybe went 20 metres and dropped.

In defence of the TSX, I did buy a selection of them for my 270WSM's and 300WM (140gr-270WSM, 150/180/200 for my 300WM)for reloading, but the performance at the range and on the game with the AB's, I only reloaded some 200gr. Got good small clover leaf grouping but felt the 180gr best for my 300WM.

With the performance of the 270WSM with 140gr AB's, I just traded my new box of 140 TSX for some AB's and bought the remaining 2 boxes at one dealer b/c I couldn't find them at other dealers-hard to come by right now.

To each there own, as depends on what your rifle likes to shoot. For me I'm under 0.5" 5 shot group @ 100 metres with my Sako m75 SS 300WM (3 shots @ 0.28") and for my 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM's both shoot great - 0.4" 5 shot groups out of one and 0.6" out of the other but I'm tweaking the load right now.

Hard to say which bullet is better as I have seen failures on both. The TSX not expanding or petals falling off to the AB's coming apart with not much left.

Here is a great pic of the shot/wound on a large bull elk harvested by a fellow (pic taken off another forum)in Alberta last year using 200gr AB's from his 300RUM. Quite impressive if you ask me! Pic is of the exit wound looking towards the entrance wound.

[Linked Image]

Great topic. Its good to se the good/bad and opinions in both types of bullets.