E

I must have touched a nerve. Sorry.

Every time I share a hunt with the tactical guys, they are fixated of dicking with their scopes. While these folks are messing with their not-too-practical rigs, the rest of us are "holding" and killing.

I'm talking prairie dogs here. One is 200 yards, the next is 30 feet and the next is 300 yards. The "clickers" go mad and spend half of their time doing an exercise that is wasted on us who have shot more than a few dogs.

When it comes to big game, I try my very best not to have a long range situation. For example, last year I shot a mighty-fair mulie in Montana. I could have shot him at 500, but that would have been only shooting. I did an open-field stalk and eventually (like an hour later) hunted him down and shot out both carotid arteries at somehing under 100 yards. The stalk was glorious and it was hunting at its best.

But then.........Last year, I couldn't get even close to a nice Montana antelope I liked. Had to shoot him in the middle of the chest at 429 yards. In bipod, I held for elevation and wind and executed him. And I felt sick about it, because my 50 years (and something close to 500 game animals, here in the US, in Canada and in Africa) of experience hadn't taught me enough to get within comfortable range of the wiley 'ol antelope. It was a clean kill, but I was nothing more than a shooter. And I hate that.

There is great honor in being a hunter because it is part of a sacred game. The shooter simply drops bullets into an unfortunate, unwitting animal and there is no honor in that. My opinion only.

Sure, I use a sling. Actually, it's a non-slip rubber Quaker Boy carrying strap. I also have a Harris L-S bipod attached to the rifle and carry a pair of crossed sticks in my pack. I will use a boulder, fence post or any other solid object to help me make a humane kill. It is a hunter's duty to get as close as possible and have a rock-solid hold when taking the critter's life.

The equipment and cartridges I use are those that I have found practical for my uses. Other equally-experienced hunters may have evolved other choices -- and I totally respect that. Having said that, experienced hunters can share experiences and learn from each other. That's why we are all here at the 24HourCampfire.

Steve

Last edited by dogzapper; 04/14/03.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397