Missouri has a scattered population. Our Conservation Department is attempting to get a handle on numbers, expansion, and control the things. The MDC estimates we may have somewhere between 5,000 - 10,000 scattered across the southern Ozarks. The MDC has trapped them, and, is now going to gun them from a helicoptor this winter. Hogs are scattered around in many of the areas I hunt and I have seen a few of them, plus lots of sign. I have some friends who have killed a few. One of my friends tracked one in the snow and jumped it from a clearcut, killing a 275 pound razorback. Hard looking critter for sure... Big hogs occasionally make some of the rural papers. A couple of years ago a squirrel hunter had a pair of big boars come by and he misplaced a head shot on one of them. The wounded boar treed the guy and kept him up in the tree until his hunting buddy came looking for him around lunch time. The bud killed the hog which was still hanging around and after getting some help they weighed the hog in a local butcher shop. 400 pounder with 4" or 5" tusk IIRC from the newspaper account. I jumped a huge old boar about like that out of a clearcut while scouting for bobcat sign one winter day. Walked right up on it as it slept at the base of a huge white oak tree. Startled the crap out of me as it rolled to its feet about ten yards away and busted through the brush down the ridge.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.