Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Who has one? Being on city water it’s almost a must, but I refuse to get one, despite Slavyanka’s complaints about the spots on the shower stall.

I just don’t like dumping, on average 10-15 lbs of salt a month into our water system. I know the city I used to live in drew water from a river and the place where I got bottled water showed ridiculous amounts of salt in the city water - which contributes to high blood pressure, not to mention what it does to other things.

I realize that a lot of that is also run-off from road salt, but I still don’t like contributing to it with a water softener. Doing a simple calculation if everyone in my city had a water softener unit in their house is mind-boggling.

Honestly, I’m surprised this isn’t something the environmentalists have cottoned onto.

In a lot of places if you drill deep enough you run into brine. I agree that I'd rather not put salt into the environment but more damage would accrue from my "Slavyanka" if something wasn't done about spots on the shower.

Regarding the sodium in the water concern, ours is hooked up so all watering outside is done with straight well water. The hot water is always soft so dishes turn out better but one faucet in the house has straight well water with the turn of a couple of faucets. We use the hard well water for drinking.