Steelhead,

If Alaska is paradise, why do I know so many people here in Montana who moved here after living there for a few years? (Just kidding, though there are a lot of them....)

At one point until very recently I had taken more big game with the .270 than any other cartridge (won't say what passed it). My wife has surely taken more with it than any other round, especially as her "big" rifle.

I have seen one "failure" with the .270, due to a bullet that was not nearly as good as hyped by several gun writers when it came out. I finally figured out that they never shot anything with it before writing about it, one of the big reasons I spent a lot of time, some years ago, devising ways to test bullets before hunting with them. (Oh, and why I start off with smaller "big" game with any new bullet even then.)

Other than that, it has done everything its proponents have claimed. The biggest game I've seen taken with it is moose, and it still holds the record of "quickest deadest" bull moose in my experience. It shoots flat and doesn't kick all that much, and in my experience is very easy to get to shoot accurately. You can get ammo anywhere. What's not to like?

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck