For some reason, I like to be a little different. I dumped all my bolt actions and went to Ruger #1s for hunting. I grew up wanting a .280, becuase 30 years ago, it was a lot different than owning a .270 or 30/06. And, if I were to own a bolt, it would be becuase the walnut on it was a real attention getter. To cut to the chase, the last thing I would ever want was a stainless steel bolt action rifle with a no-character, non-wlanut stock and chambered for the go-with-the-crowd .270 Winchester. Well, for our first anniversary, my wife went and bought me a left-handed Ruger - their stainless model with a laminated stock. Chambered for...you guessed it...the 270 Winchester. My wife said to take it back if it wasn't what I wanted, but I read between the lines and realized that would be a foolish marital move. Then I started to shoot the thing. And even though I'm not really big on ballistics, when one looks up the numbers on the .270 and compares it to everything else out there, I believe this cartridge is really hard to beat when it comes to hunting the lower 48. In fact, the more I shoot this cartridge, the more I like it. I hope to never have to give up the Ruger #1s I have left, but if someone were to tell me I had to spend the rest of my life carrying just that .270, I would be just as content as can be. Of course I couldn't give in all together. When most would probably put a 3x9 on this type of rig, I fitted mine with a matte finish, straight 4x Leupold. There, now it's cool enough for me to carry.