Originally Posted by GeneB
I don't have a lot of 1899's but I had a couple scopes and I needed something to put them on, the way they mounted I had limited options for early 1899's and I finally got a rifle they would go on. It's not that great of shape. I tried two different scope on it and I think I will go with the 5/8' Malcolm, it's a sturdier set-up, so more suited for a SRC... now I will need another rifle for the Stevens scope.

This is a 28" Stevens, for a full length Stevens scope on an 1899 you need one that is the barrel length + 8". Stevens listed some scopes as long as 34" but the longest I've seen are 30". For these you need a front sight dovetail so they will not work with anything with an integral front sight post.
[Linked Image]

This is the 5/8" Malcolm, if I had a longer scope I would have more options, but with this one the rear sight dovetail has to be closer to the receiver than on some models.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Those scopes are great and look awesome on the gun. Having a setup similar to the pic with the Stevens is something I'd like to have some day. But those scopes aren't easy to find and aren't cheap.