Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by bamagun01
What am I doing wrong?
Perhaps nothing, if group size is acceptable but too high.

Similar to Tom’s experience, above, when my rear sight was bottomed out, it was still necessary for me to switch to a taller front sight (the pinned front sight made it easy) to get 255gr. bullets hitting point of aim at 15 yards:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If I ever want to use 300gr. bullets, an even taller front sight will be needed. I may even need to make it myself out of 1/8” sheet steel, as I think I’m already using the tallest front sight available from Ruger.

I drill sight pin holes by hand, carefully drilling half way from each side to meet in the middle. That way, I’ve had good luck avoiding enlarged holes.

P.S.: I’ve heard tell that sights on original Colt SAAs we’re regulated to hit point of aim at long distance, say 100 yards, in order to more easily knock an attacking hostile injun (forgive me, resentful Native American) off a horse (or the horse out from under the injun) before he got close enough to use bow and arrow. So, SAAs always shot high close up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles