Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Hello,

I am wondering what the thoughts are on Sako Vixen rifles? I have read Frank DeHaas's review and have heard they were quite accurate. Can anyone give me firwt hand knowledge of th L461 in a 222 or 223? I am wondering about best bullet weights, loads and if anyone has shot 60 grain partitions in a Vixen?

Thanks for the help and information

ddj
Trouthunterdj,

I purchased a Sako Vixen in .222 Rem with the intention of re-barreling it to .223

I made the "mistake" of shooting the rifle before doing anything. It was so accurate that I kept it as a .222 Rem!

I easily worked up several handloads with 45 and 50 grain bullets that shot 3/8 inch groups, but it was even more accurate with a better shooter than me on the trigger!

I never tried 60gr bullets, but the 1 in 14 inch twist of most .222's make that unlikely to succeed. Go with a .223 if you also want to shoot these bullets (at deer, or whatever).

If I were you, I'd go for one in .223 because you don't HAVE to handload, and if you are ever forced to sell it (god forbid!) it will sell much easier as a .223

/John