Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=scratcherky]They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.

Hmm. Please let us know how you would define "inherently."

The concept that a particular case design (cartridge) in and of itself is inherently "accurate" as compared with others that are not - as an innate inalienable, and essential aspect - regardless of powder, primer, projectile, barrel, twist, etc., etc. - seems a stretch. Experienced comments in this thread tell a story.

It seems difficult, then, to help with your wish for explanation why others. "don't believe they are wrong" - whatever that means.

I have enjoyed and appreciated many of your posts. Thanks.

CCCC,

I fail to see how the definitions you pick of "inherently" disprove my points. But I could go to my big printed copies of the Oxford English Dictionary of the English Language and my American Merriams-Webster, and probably find at least one definition that matches better with "mine."
But would also point out that when Noah Webster published his first dictionary of American English in 1828, he chose to define words by "common usage," and none of the ballistics people I interviewed misunderstood what I was asking. My first question also turned out to be the title of my article on the subject "Does Inherent Accuracy Exist?" This was published in the December 2007 edition of Handloader magazine, and the then-editor subtitled it "Barsness Interviews Top Ballisticians."

I named all of them, including Ron Reiber, the long-time head ballistician at Hodgdon, and Bob Nosler. Can't remember the others, and am not about to go through my collection of Handloader magazines to dig out that particular issue. But they all read the article when it appeared, and nobody objected to their quotes included in the article. In fact, some contacted me afterward with further comments.

So no, my previous post was not exactly "hearsay," and all the folks I interview plainly understood my question, apparently due to "common usage."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck