Here's a little Kimber lore regarding a store that handled them in the middle of no-where in an unincorporated NM community of about 30 people.

Prior to the mid-1990s or so, there was a mercantile that seemed like it was out of 1800s in Milnesand, NM. The old man that owned it, Mr. Davis I want to say but could be wrong, always kept a big selection of really nice guns. In the early 1980s, he had the best selection I had seen up to that point of original Kimbers plus a lot more stuff in stock. They seemed to always have a dozen or so Kimbers, but my memory may be slipping. I remember handling the original 82s and 84s in all sorts of chamberings there in elementary school and thought they were greatest manmade inventions I had ever seen, but I learned to read in the Gun Digest and Shooter's Bible and pretty much had a one-track mind. The Super Americas were incredible.

My dad drove a good ways to go there and pick out a scope for my first .22, a Remington 581 for which my dad reshaped and cut down the stock to fit me. The mercantile had a big cardboard box of used scopes. I looked through the box and tested scopes by looking at sandhills a quarter of a mile or so out the front door of the store and chose a steel-tube Weaver 2.5x. My dad paid $20 or thereabouts for the scope and mounted it on the 581.

The Mercantile was in the metal building in the Wiki page that is now the post office. From what I understand, Mr. Davis (I think) in addition to Kimbers was a HUGE Winchester collector and his collection of M21s, M70s and lever actions went up for sale when he died in the 1990s and the store closed.

Pic of the store that was a big Kimber dealer on this Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milnesand,_New_Mexico

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 09/16/23.