Rogue, I find your experience with 165 grain 30-caliber bullets interesting. Let me digress. I bought a AR-15 for called coyotes (and cats, I hope) and a strange thing happened on the way to the forum! I not only like the thing, I am downright facinated by the way it handles. Now I have a burning desire for more power in the same rifle, and I found it! I am considering buying a AR-10 in 243, with an extra upper in 308. Now, I no longer have an elk rifle, and if I get drawn here in Arizona (don't laugh, stranger things have happened to me) then I may be elk hunting with the 308. I was wondering if I would be better off with a 180 grain or a 165 grain bullet. I am sure that I would pick Nosler Partitions in either case. There isn't really all that much difference in maximum velocity between the 2 bullet weights. From your comments, you seem to definitely favor the 180 in a 30-06. Do you hold to that opinion for the 308. I will gladly take all the input I can get, so all you with experience with 30 calibers on elk, help me out here.<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr