A good �all around� load. The 180 grainer were the �king of the all rounders� and still would be except for the advent of the A-Frames, Barnes X bullets and TBBC which allow the use of a 165 grain bullet which gives the same penetration.<P>Hornady 165 gr Spire Point and 57 to 58 grains of IMR 4350. This should give about 2850 to 2900 fps. Be careful and work up from about 56 grains. This works just great on game up to and including large mule deer. I believe it will work on elk but have not shot one to prove it. Keep the same powder charge and switch to a 165 Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition for elk if it pleases you, but remember to work up from below again.<P>An alternative is 59-60 grains of IMR 4831 with the same bullets. Same velocity but sometimes gives better accuracy depending upon the rifle.<P>The 180 grain bullets are still an excellent choice, however. The Nosler 180 grain Partition under about 57-58 grains of IMR 4831 gives MV�s right at 2800 fps in my 24� barreled Model 70�s and will do the job on anything short of grizzlies (as far as I know). I do know for a fact that it works quite well on ground squirrels, deer and elk. The 180 grain Nosler Partition in the �06 was Finn Aagard�s choice as the all around king of the hill for everything.<P>I personally like the 165 grainers as �do it all�s� these days. <P>DOUBLE CHECK MY LOADS AGAINST YOUR HANDLOADING MANUAL AND ALWAYS WORK UP FROM AT LEAST 2-3 GRAINS BELOW WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN.<BR>

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!