By all means - heed the doc's advice even though every case is different. I have experienced two retinal detachments.............one in each eye (2010 and 2016). I was literally "blind but now I see" - thanks to some great medical care and the grace of God. Each time I spent >6 weeks staring at the floor and sleeping on my face followed by many subsequent weeks with dissolving gas bubbles.

Opthmalogist told me each time to not shoot anything for 6 months. He also suggested I avoid contact sports (those days were many decades ago) and avoid any heavy recoil if I did start shooting. I was terrified of another detachment when I started shooting again.

To make a short story long - the .22 LR, .243 Win, 7-08, 28-g and 20g shotguns with reduced recoil turkey loads have become my best friends. Even the lead sled is used to pattern anything. As much as it pained me to do so, I sold my .338 WM, .7mm RM, 12-turkey guns, 12-trap guns, etc. just to avoid the temptation. Just my $0.02 but maybe skip the muzzle brakes. Next thing your know, you or your shooting friends may suffer hearing loss.

Prayers for a full recovery and be well.