Originally Posted by Godogs57
On my model 70’s I take that screw completely out. The middle screw on the floor plate, I tighten it only enough to hold it in place….hardly anything at all.

Seems to work for me.

That works great most times, if your rifle is properly bedded and barrel freefloated. These 2 rifles shoot awesome this way:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
When you buy custom stocks for these pre 64's, most times they do not even have the screw hole. Just freefloat the barrel in the channel. This is another one, but with a custom stock:

No provision for the barrel screw. Rifle shoots pretty dang good:

Now, you guys that are not glass bedding your rifles and relying on the barrel screw to keep accuracy consistent, good luck. Most wood stocks are affected by humidity and the tension on that screw can change. Thus affecting accuracy. One reason I suggest freefloating the barrel, if you choose to remove the barrel screw. Many ways to skin the cat, but keeping things consistent really helps with accuracy. Helps to maintain it anyway.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA