It took me long enough to decide between 3 rifles which one would be my riding companion in the UTV.

I held tryouts for each rifle, each one in the beginning I thought would be the perfect shooting partner only to find something that made me say, next.

Here’s the three rifles and the ‘why’ on two of them I decided against using.

Number 1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had this Tikka CTR rechambered/barreled from a 6.5 Creedmoor into a 6.5x47 Lapua. Shaen did the work for me. Like any shooting iron Shaen puts his mitts on, it became an incredibly accurate and slick feeding tool.

I was stoked at having a 6.5x47L chambering - thinking it would be perfect for my shooting needs on the property for mainly drilling coyotes, deer, and other small, furry, nuisances.

For me, the 6.5x47L is still my #1 choice for what my needs are. Unfortunately, even after taking all the shims out of the Tikka stock. It still doesn’t fit me. I’ve had this same problem with other Tikka CTR’s that I’ve owned being too long of a pull for me. I should have slammed it into different furniture and been done. I still might do this in the future.

Number 2

This 7WSM got itself a new Bartlein tube, again, courtesy of Mr. Shaen. Now, with a new barrel, it’s a precision shooting rifle. This rifle started out as an old, semi custom build from Gunwerks, back in the early years before Gunwerks became a boutique shop making ‘Shooting Systems’ for 12k or more.

While it’s a superb hunting rifle, with a no nonsense Howa action, fluted bolt and sitting in a Bansner stock making it light. I didn’t want a 7WSM for what I’d be using it for (over-kill) I am, however, going to take it elk hunting this year and let her eat into some Wapiti’s hide.

Number 3 and the winner for being my daily ride along buddy.

I had this rifle sitting in the back of my safe. It’s a GA Precision build that I traded into several years ago. It would see daylight every couple of years to remind me that the range performance from this 6.5 Creedmoor was excellent.

Nothing really special about this rifle. It’s got an older Mack Bros. receiver, not the Ti action. Proof CF barrel, Thunder Beast brake, H-S Precision detachable magazine that slipped into the bottom BDL cut.

The H-S magazine assembly isn’t great for extending bullets way out, but using boxed, Horn 143gr Eld-x ammo, it works great. Trigger is a TT Primary. All of it stuffed into a slightly heavy, but solid Grayboe Terrain stock.

The scope was another trade I made several years ago. Sig Sauer Whiskey5 3-15x44 with lights. The limited dialing I’ve done with this scope has been good. Time may tell how it holds up after daily rough riding.

No frills, on this one. It’s already got a few ‘sorry’s’ on it from the past couple of weeks riding bitch. More Oopsies will happen.
Oh, well,,,It’s a truck gun.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”