Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by Theeck
Originally Posted by buttstock
Would you consider the Catskill Mountains (NY)? Decent deer population, and closer to PA.

Probably not. I think the seasons are different and I like to be able to roam. Maybe I'll look into it, though.

I did a lot with maps last night and I am pretty set on a location. Now I just need to figure out whether to use a tent/base camp or backpack and bivy.

No way I'd consider hunting in the Adirondacks with just a bivy - you can't be sure of snow, but you can pretty much guarantee getting wet. You will get some sort of rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow/slush during hunting season! Temps in November anywhere from 60s to below zero - maybe in the same week! When you get rain or wet snow one day and the temps drop that night you need a way to get dried out.

I've done it twice already and had a great time but it was in late October. Both trips it hit 40s or 50s during the day and 20s at night. Not too bad as far as temps. My trip next year will probably be the 2nd week of November so I am sure I could hit colder weather. I'll pack a zero-degree sleeping bag. I also pack a Sitka flash shelter (or similar tarp) to get under if it rains. I had a major downpour in my last trip and it wasn't pleasant but it was manageable. I think snow would be fine to a point but heavy snow might make things tough.

I sort of like the idea of having somewhere warm to go at the end of the day but I have a really hard time getting going in the morning early enough to be in a good spot at daybreak when I am in a warm tent and it is freezing out. I may make the decision the week before based on the forecast. Another option is to bivy but keep some emergency supplies (spare sleeping bag, clothes, tent, and extra food in my truck. That way I have an option if things get miserable.