Originally Posted by miguel
There’s lots of places in the Adirondacks where you can drive to, and set up a wall tent out of the back of your truck, and hunt from there. It’s nice to get the camp into the back country, but the logistics are much, much more involved. Plus, getting way off the beaten path really isn’t always necessary for success.
Some good areas to check out are Raquette Lake, Moise River Plains, Stillwater Reservoir, and High Peaks Wilderness area. Once you find a suitable camping spot, secure a permit from the local ranger. It’s free, and allows you to leave the camp up for as long as you like. As far as anyone stealing your gear, I have never had a problem, but I have never left it unattended for a long period of time either. It’s somewhat a leap of faith. Don’t assume you would be safe in the backcountry either, two years ago I caught a couple young hunters nosing around my backcountry camp midday. It may have been innocent curiosity, maybe not, who knows?
Be prepared, whether you hunt Maine or the Adirondacks, there are not a lot of deer. I mean it can be dismal. I hunted a new area in the Adirondacks this year, a hunting club on leased timber company land. All of it had been heavily logged, and was prime deer habitat. I saw a total of 5 deer all season, 2 does, 2 small bucks, and a nice buck that I shot. I saw more deer than any of the other 10 members, and was the only one successful. Last year in the High Peaks I went 3 or 4 days without seeing much of anything, then I had a day where I saw 10. That was the most deer activity I had ever seen in the Adirondacks in one day in almost 40 years hunting there.
The problem with hunting the big woods is, it’s addictive. I desperately would like to hunt where the numbers are better, and the trophy quality is better, but my vacation always gets planned on going to the woods.
If you need any help with planning coming up, shoot me a PM and I’d be happy to help.

Thanks, Miguel. I will reach out to you at some point. I always appreciate suggestions and advice from experienced guys.