Well, not a real comprehensive update yet. Long story short, the rifle stayed home as I couldn't make any real gains with it last week.

I tried some forearm fitment things. I noticed the forearm really does contact the barrel tightly with a properly tightened forearm screw. Did some relieving and file work there, and have a little more yet to do. I now have the forward part of the forearm allowing a piece of paper to slide between barrel and forearm where that was impossible before. Need to check the rear half behind the screw yet. The receiver end of the forearm does seem to be freely floating in that recess.

Anyway, accuracy was still poor, so I shot the gun with no forearm for about 5 groups. Accuracy was more or less no different. It is also worth noting that I was pretty frustrated, still am, while trying to discover why this gun so far won't shoot worth a hoot. I was also pressed for time. Neither of these things lend to wonderful marksmanship, however I do feel I was pulling a trigger pretty well even so. (I picked up my Marlin '94 not long after this, and was still shooting 1moa or so with it.) So, we are still at about 8 moa with this 99. Unthinkable.

I then removed the red dot and fired a few groups with the Skinner barrel mounted rear peep sight. Thinking maybe red dot has failed. Accuracy was no better. Figure a little more margin of error with irons than the 2moa size red dot I was using, but still, unacceptable accuracy.

So longer story longer, I think there's a few things to try and tune a little more before writing them off as a non-issue.

For further information, I'm using Ramshot TAC with a fairly heavy charge under Hornady 200gr Spire Point bullets, and I'm lately averaging about 2550fps. That's honestly about 50fps faster than my initial goal, so could maybe lessen that charge a little bit. I've also not tinkered very much with C.O.A.L. so there is some potential gain to be made there as well. Anyone have any "99 specific cartridge dimensions their gun seems to like?" I think for the load/gun, this is on the fast end of things.

The only real thing of note, is that most of the innaccuracy is vertical. Windage I have almost no problem. But I can string groups vertically 8-10 inches every time.