Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by DonFischer
If you do it enough times something bad will happen? I don't thing so!

You think wrong. You offer an anecdote irrelevant to the situation. I'll offer a relevant one. My father has a sporterized '03A3. It was fine when new but over time .. wear from repeated use .. it will now often fire when the safety is released. Instead of the safety holding the sear parts together, the safety is a second "notch". With enough wear on the sear itself, it no longer holds the bolt back against the sear, it drops part way so it is the safety, not the sear, holding the firing pin back. When the safety is disengaged, the sear drops firing the rifle. "Oops." Simple wear .. as I said, "if you do it enough times .."

What he SHOULD do is have the trigger replaced with a better quality after market trigger than the one the gunsmith used, but at 85+, he's "cheap". Instead, it is his practice to pull the exposed bolt knob clear back so that it is again the sear, not the safety, holding the bolt back, before releasing the safety, but woe to anyone near someone who doesn't know the gun's quirks that tries to operate it.

Tom

I have a 03A3 done in 1945 by Paul Jaeger. The trigger is the original trigger fixed up by Jaeger. Hammer has never fallen removing the safety. Of course it still has the military take up and over travel. Best trigger I have ever used.