[b][/b]
Originally Posted by gunzo
I guess at first I didn't like the non locking feature. First one I owned was a Classic in 350 RM, this might give it a date. After walking the woods for an hour or so I took the slung rifle off my shoulder & saw the bolt handle sticking straight out. I didn't like that.

But I guess I got over it because I've had several non-locking 700's since. But it's still kind of a fence riding thing with as both have their attributes.

I’ve been wondering since this thread started if one’s preference for a bolt-locking safety correlates to how they carry the rifle.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, while I prefer that a safety locks the bolt, it’s not all that important to me. I use “new” 700’s and 77’s and old ones with no problem whatsoever. I’ve never had a bolt come open accidentally. I also never carry my rifle around slung over my shoulder behind me when hunting. I don’t even have slings on my hunting rifles. When I’m hunting, I have my rifle in my hand, ready for use, no exception. I can’t imagine anything going on with my rifle that I’m not aware of. (Maybe too, that’s why I have rifles that have been to hell and gone that aren’t all beat up after frequently having been hunted in “the thick stuff.”)

I killed what is, so far, the nicest racked buck I’ve ever killed only because I had my Ruger (original style) .44 carbine in my hands when he suddenly appeared. I nailed him as he whirled around to go, probably less than 2 seconds after seeing him. My brother and our friend who were walking out with me watched him go down with their mouths hanging open, struggling to get their rifles off their shoulders.

I can’t for the life of me see how someone could have their rifle’s bolt come open inadvertently and unknown to them if they’re carrying it in their hands.

Mathew 22: 37-39