Originally Posted by MadMooner
That’s pretty cool. Cant say I’ve seen it before.

Might start hoarding some scrap lumber😁

I think the affordability of the method died when OSB gained momentum in the mid 80's.

Prior to the demand for OSB, slab wood and various lengths of 'mill ends' were in abundance at the local mills near me.

I bought slab wood to cut up and sell as firewood in my campground. I paid $10 a bundle which would be a heavy pickup load at 8 to 12 ft in length.

That's when I took notice of the available 'mill ends' which included every size of dimensional lumber. Most all of it had some 'live edge' which appeared to be why it was culled out and cut off.
That was also $10 a truck load.

After they started making OSB, everything went in the chipper.

The last of the cheap wood I could get from the mills for firewood was 'spin offs'. Those were big fat logs they used for cutting veneer. They'd stick those logs in a machine that spun them up against long blades to cut the thin layers of wood for the manufacturering of ply wood.

If the logs didn't hold in the machine and 'spun out' and couldn't turn they were scrapped.

They upped the price to $20 a bundle for those but in short time they got a chipper strong enough to handle them and that was the end of that.