Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by zcm82
One of the problems around here is you can move a few miles and still usually see the old venue most of the time. Trees aren't particularly abundant (and becoming even less so rapidly as more keep get cleared for city folks' retirement McMansions and ag acreage consolidation), and the terrain is a pancake 😜

Absolutely.

Now take that same area and fill it with mixtures of mature popple stands, soft maple, swamp and no agriculture - and, likely about 2-3 deer per square mile (some areas actually void of deer) – that's the OP's dilemma. And it's a sucky one without a lot of time and effort - OTOH, killing a big woods buck is about as cool and rewarding as it gets.

tzone made it work this year and I swear every time I talked to him this fall, he was boots-on-the-ground in northern WI, preparing for the upcoming season.

The one other note about hunting the gun season in northern WI is unlike many gun seasons in other states, it's pretty well post-rut – maybe a little lingering but that's it. Taint for the faint of heart or those used to seeing deer on each sit.

Agreed about big woods deer. Those are the ones I remember the most and I've never taken anything near in size to what some of you fella's show, but man are they special.

Semper Fi