Originally Posted by jimmyp
If you follow the “carry a gun big enough to fight with” concept, the original P365 is in my opinion right at the edge of that graph, like others have said the grip and control of the firearm are on the smaller gun side. Does anyone know if you can put the macro grip frame on the original P365 size barrel length. The idea of a macro grip on the short original barrel/slide is interesting to me! Probably a dumb idea but for appendix carry when you sit down sometimes the longer barrels are not comfortable. Plus the bigger grip would allow considerably more control of the gun.
The shorter 365 slide for the 3.1" barrel might physically work but the Macro grip extends out for a 3.7" barrel so you wouldn't get any reduction in overall length.

From Sig's webpage for the Macro grip module: "Note: A compatible slide assembly (P365XL or XMACRO length) and magazine must be used."

A few more thoughts responding to other posts. Here's a snippet of a post made in March 2020 when I was testing 9mm ammo in different barrel lengths:

One subjective impression is recoil. It was 28 deg. this morning with an 8 mph wind and my fingers got a bit cold. The P365 had a 12 round mag in it so I could get my hand fully on the grip but recoil was still snappy. My chilly trigger finger really felt it after the first five rounds.

Going to the 365 XL with a longer and heavier slide showed a noticeable decrease in felt recoil, it was a slower recoil impulse. I've no way to quantify this, it wasn't a huge difference, but it was definitely noticeable.
Going to the M&P Compact was a "really big difference" (technical term) in recoil, and the 5.0" full size M&P was again a smaller but noticeable difference from the 4" barrel; it was a real pussycat compared to either Sig. This is all to be expected but I was a bit surprised at the difference between the two Sigs. I've noticed this at a warm indoor range firing both but my cold trigger finger this morning was really sensitive to it.

Based on this it's impossible to predict how much felt recoil difference there will be going to the bigger grip since the slide mass stays the same, but based on some 60 years of handgun shooting so far I'm pretty sure that a bigger grip ain't gonna increase the felt recoil.

In my well educated and highly regarded opinion the XL version is an excellent combination of concealment with adequate firepower (among others, it's not the only one) but Mackay's "gun big enough to fight with" post was definitely influential in wanting something easier to control and with more firepower. I looked again at Compact versions of pistols I already had or have (M&P 2.0 and Glock 17), "again" because I've owned a Glock 19 and an M&P 2.0 Compact and sold them both 2-3 years ago. Don't ask me why now except I just didn't care for them.

That makes looking at the 365 Macro seem like going down that same path since it's length and height are about identical to those but for whatever reason - fit, trigger pull, whatever - I like that 365 XL. But as I get into my 70's even that grip gets harder to control. An accident about 18 months ago that screwed up my support hand hasn't helped things, either. When I picked up the Macro at the store the grip snuggled very comfortably into my hand, more so than a G19 or M&P Compact ever did.

Which is why I ordered the Macro grip and some mags for it. We'll see how it goes, I'll either like it or not. If not, I'm only out 200 bucks as opposed to the price of a whole new pistol and would still have two high cap mags that work in the XL. If I do like it a lot then I'll have two carry options with the exact same trigger and sight, with one of them carrying a full size pistol's worth of 17 rounds on board.

Plus, ya know, I hadn't bought myself anything for Christmas, so... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!