Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have no doubt this is correct…I will NOT argue that competition has advantages in a lot of ways but I don’t feel it is an absolute requisite to be the ‘best’ (whatever that is), for long range shooting/hunting anyhow. I absolutely can see a huge advantage to timed shooting and doing so under pressure for self defense or even offense scenarios.

I shake my head at those on here who constantly ask how many matches a person has shot, in order to back up (admittedly, pompous) claims. Some people just aren’t even mildly interested in competition and can still be really good. I am admittedly not the best shot in the world and that is something I need to work on but just don’t find enjoyment in shooting targets and can’t force myself to go to any sanctioned shooting event. That doesn’t mean I can’t make a tough shot reliably at an elk at last light on the last day, which is pressure in and of itself, to people like me. I know several really good competitors that have missed shots such as those, on more than one occasion.

The flip side of that coin is people claiming to be the best rifle shot ever, in the history of mankind, that never have and never will put those amazing skillz on display in competition. If you're that rare bird that flies high without competition honing your edge, you're probably not bragging about how good you are on here.