Originally Posted by KillerBee
"Thanks for letting me muddy the m1917 thread the best I could. ha ha..."

lol, good read I enjoyed all of it~

So mine is a model "B" with the cooked bolt, correct? I LOVE IT, it's tucked, and out of the way!

The only thing I would seriously consider changing it the trigger, I like the 2 stage aspect of it. When I am shooting at an animal I like a trigger that all you have to do is to breathe on it and away it goes. I like the weight to be <2 lbs. I only put a round into the chamber when I am pointing the rifle at a target, so I am never concerned with "mishaps". Had a few dangerous encounters in my youth, which has made me Super Cautious!

I was unaware that I could swap out the trigger with a Timney's, with that being the case I was just looking at their Remington 700 Two-Stage Light, do you have any experience with that model?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also I can attest to the M1917's accuracy, I can put a Winchester SuperX 180 gr. into Loonie at 200 yards and mine is zeroed at 200 yards, about 3/4"high at 100 yards.

You mentioned the Weatherby custom M1917 that was selling for $2,500.00, just curious, if you were to see mine for sale in the USA with a Hiptmayer custom stock, what would you expect it to be listed at these days?

Too bad we were not neighbours, would be fun to shoot together, thats for sure!

Cheer ~

I believe yours is an older model D. The earliest ones had the dog leg bolt handle. Those were from 1949. The newer ones, like the 1951 model I had, had the straight bolt. The closest bolt handle I can find was made by Brownells, and is almost an exact match for the BSA's.

I'd imagine your rifle would be worth upwards af $2,000.00+ to the right person. Although I know it has far more sentimental value to you. I would not sell it. I kicked myself in the azz for selling my first model D. If I ever find another model D or E, I'll probably snag it real fast!!!

I also agree, we would have a blast shooting together. You could even bring your Weatherby 300 win mag.

As for the Timney triggers, I don't have any experience with the 2 stage triggers. I always buy the single stage. I've bought them for the Remington 788, Stevens 200, and all of my M1917's. You'll need to look for a 5 shot sportsman 110, I believe. You don't want the 6 shot model because you have the straightened bottom metal, and I'm assuming your rifle holds 5. My m1917 holds 6, yet the bottom metal has been straightened. Got lucky I guess, but I still use the Sportsman 110 5 shot trigger.

I even put a Timney in the rifle I gave to my buddy:

One other part I always change is the ejector. The leaf spring factory ejector, is WEAK!!! It should really be upgraded to a coil spring ejector, so you never have to worry about that failing you in the field:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA