of a major bank today. Seems someone had a check of mine, trying to cash in another state, made out to them for almost seven grand.
I wasn’t too sure at first what the guy that called me wasn’t the one trying to scam me. He gave me his name and the name of the guy that was trying to cash the check.

Apparently, they had the guy whose name was on the check trying to cash it to give them his ID (drivers lic) in order to cash it. Then they told him to wait and immediately called me for verification. My phone # is on my checks.
I told him NO that I didn’t write the check.

Then the guy tells me, let me call you back. Meantime, I’m on my personal phone with my bank. The guy calls back and I put the phones to each other and my bank and him converse back and forth. Now he is e-mailing a copy of the check to my bank. When it gets here my bank told me to make a police report and then the fraud folks will have to provide the guys drivers lic to the cops. When who ever tried to cash the check wanted his drivers lic back the bank said they were going to call the cops and the dude took off. I guess I’ll see how it goes from here.

Now here’s where it gets odd. The fraud folks gave the check # to me and my bank. I go back and look for the check. It never cleared. It was made out in sept 1 to a major hospital for an out patient procedure. I got another statement in the mail a month later and wrote another check for the same amount to the same hospital a month later. The first on sept 1, the second on oct 4. Neither of the checks written to the same place had cleared in four months.
Then one turns up out of state after what my bank thinks has been "washed" and re-written.

What are the odds of that? I’m thinking inside job at the hospital, that’s all I can come up with.
Anyone else got any idea?