A lot of healthcare providers outsource their billing to a 3rd party contractor and those places typically pay very little and hire anyone who can fog a mirror.

I would call the healthcare provider and ask to speak with the billing manager, often called the director of patient accounting, to alert him/her about this. If it happened to you, you can bet that you aren't the only one who is a victim.

Frank Abagnale, the Catch Me If You Can impersonator, has worked for the FBI for years and recommends that you pay everything with a credit card to avoid any fraud or identity theft liability. Abagnale did a presentation that is available on Youtube regarding the exclusive use of credit cards. If you Google "Frank Abagnale Credit Card" you can see it for yourself.

EDIT: If you do pay with a personal check, I recommend making a copy of the invoice and the check for your records. I keep my billing invoices and payment checks for 2 years. The healthcare industry is notorious for resubmitting claims to insurance companies months after the original claims have been processed and you have paid your post-insurance balance. I had this happen last year and it took several months and multiple letters with copies of my records to get the matter resolved. Sometimes this is a mistake and sometime it is done on purpose to generate bogus accounts receivable to make the business look more successful than it really is.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 01/10/24. Reason: Added comment