Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Cold Zero
I have not been Wolf hunting in quite sometime now. Last time I shot a huge Alpha male that I did a life size mount on casters. I would like to go again and prefer to go to Ontario, since I can drive there from NY, but I am open to other locations if it is worthwhile.

Also, this time I am looking to use a .30-06 with factory ammo. I could use some recommendations on that too.
Basically, 125 gr. vs. 150 gr.

Any other helpful tips for clothing or equipment are appreciated as well.

Cold Zero

What shooting distances are typical when on guided Wolf Hunts? Them puppies are hard to pin down!

I shot mine at less than 20 yards on a Guided Wolf hunt that was driven to me. I was amazed how accurately the Outfitter told me how things would play out. I was highly skeptical, but he knew what he was talking about.

If I missed, I think he would have torn me apart. I would say typical is 150-300 yards, with 200 yard running shots being common. That’s why a medium caliber light weight rifle is ideal for running shots and carrying all day. The last time I went I used a 17 lb heavy barrels .308, it knocked the hell out of the Wolf with a 175 gr. Gameking bullet, but what a pain to carry in the field.

N.R.A. Endowment Life Member