Originally Posted by Seafire
Thanks for the info Halvin. Slower speeds punch thru more than fast bullets a lot of times, and it takes a lot for people to understand that.

I've got some steel plates that I shot with a 55 grain bullet out of a 223 with 13 grains of Blue Dot, AFTER I shot them with the same bullet weight with another powder at 3150 fps ( regular military load MVs).

the military loads hit the 3/8 inch steel plate and splattered, just barely making a dent in them.

the Same Bullets were Hornady 55 grain SPs and FMJs, were fired at the targets at 100/ meters. 13 grains of Blue Dot gave an MV 500 fps Slower, yet each shot punched right thru the same steel plates, that the military standard MV of 3150 fps, just hit the plates and splattered.

everyone seems to think higher velocity is the answer, but it depends upon the bullet and the resistance it gets from the media it is hitting.

Speed sells and lower velocity doesn't....yet lower velocity ammo works when higher speed velocity won't or even just plain fails.

Load your bullets to the velocity, that works best for your target work and desired results...and what the bullet's parameters are....

but most people will think you are nuts and think the opposite, although few will admit, they've never even tried it...

There is no substitute for empirical experience. I don't care what field of life we are talking about.,